In the world of business, strategies play an important role. Both corporate and marketing strategies help businesses reach their goals by understanding what the consumers demand and how the business can provide them. Upon knowing this, companies create plans to communicate their message and connect to their target market. Thus, a relationship is formed.
Just like in any relationship, there is the possibility of falling out. Sometimes, businesses fail to address consumer needs. Other times, consumers lose their interest and their loyalty to the brand. Even if it happens, it doesn’t have to stay this way. There is a solution to this problem, and it’s called Six sigma.
What Is Six Sigma?
Essentially, it is a set of techniques and tools designed to enhance and improve the business model. By reducing the possibility of error, this data-driven approach enables businesses to develop solutions that eliminate problems.
How does Six Sigma Work?
This method aims to deliver the best quality products and services to attain maximum consumer satisfaction. Now, the question is how. Six sigma operates under five key principles.
- Put the Consumer First – As a business, their main objective is to cater to their customer’s needs and wants. This means using their services and their products to answer a particular consumer problem. Understanding the consumer allows the businesses to better deliver.
- Identify the Problem – For companies to operate, they need to set a clear goal. To achieve their goals, they need to execute a business process. With this process, companies need to collect the data to understand what works and what doesn’t.
- Eliminate Unnecessary Components – Businesses need to remove anything that does not contribute to achieving their goals. Once data has been collected, eliminate what is unnecessary in the process and replace it with something new and innovative if need be. The more the process is streamlined, the more efficient it becomes.
- Involve More People – Collaboration among different individuals can prove to be a useful tool for problem-solving. Getting people involved allows businesses to gain varying insights that can help them better understand the issue at hand. However, to make the most of collaboration, people involved must undergo proper training.
- Be Flexible to Change – Six sigma works based on change and evolution towards a better result. It is not dormant. It is a continuous process of problem-solving, so people need to be open-minded and flexible. This is the only way for the business to grow and attain its goals.
What Are the Different Six Sigma Techniques?
Forming a well-structured process requires time and experience. Some methods and processes may work for one company and not the other. Fortunately, several techniques can be utilized to achieve the expected outcomes.
- Brainstorming: This technique involves the collaboration of different individuals. Ideas bounce off of each other to form new concepts that may help solve the problem. Usually, brainstorming helps identify the problem faster and provide more options to solve it.
- The Why Technique: This is essentially asking “why” repeatedly to get to the root cause or the core of the issue. Asking why allows people to go in-depth, to understand the underlying purpose for doing something. This technique typically involves five levels of questioning, but it can go beyond that to reach the core.
- The Customer’s Voice: Making use of customer feedback can be an insightful source of information. Knowing what the consumer thinks about the product can help companies develop it better. After all, the main objective is to cater to their customer’s needs. What better way to do this than to go straight to the source?
Why Use Six Sigma?
Companies should start rethinking their models and adapt their business model to fit Six sigma. It’s a detailed and more structured approach to understanding the problem and how to effectively address it. It uses various techniques, tools, and methods to enhance the process and achieve business goals. The only way for businesses to evolve is if they’re willing to explore. The best way to do this is to employ Six sigma.