Do you need somewhere for your aging parents to live where you can keep an eye on them but not have them invade your privacy? How about a place for your college graduate who is looking for some freedom but not quite ready to be on their own. If yes, you should build your own ADU today!
Benefits of An ADU
An ADU can benefit you greatly no matter how you decide to use it. It can be a great place for aging parents or kids that are getting ready to leave the nest. It can also be an excellent form of additional income from renting it out to others. Since it is a small home, it acts as an affordable housing option for lower-income families.
Besides acting as a place for people to live, an ADU can increase the value of your home. It also is an environmentally friendly way to live since it focuses on minimalism.
Choosing The Type Of ADU
Before you begin building your own ADU, you need to determine which type is going to work best for you. There are six main types of ADU for you to consider building. They are:
- ADUs above a garage or workshop
- Attached ADUs that attach to the primary dwelling
- Basement conversion
- Detached ADUs that are stand-alone dwellings
- Garage conversion ADUs that are garages made into an ADU
- Internal ADUs that are a part of the interior of the primary home
Each ADU has its own set of advantages and disadvantages associated with price, privacy, and ease of construction. Once you determine the right one for you, it’s time to start your ADU development.
Key Tips To Building An ADU
Building your own ADU is exciting and can be easy if you know the tricks of the trade or so they say. That’s why we have a few key tips for you to know before starting your ADU construction.
- Always set your budget first
- Never higher the cheapest contractor
- Always plan for what appliances will be needed early on
- Always plan for a laundry area
- Never skimp on storage
- Never skimp on windows
If you follow these simple tips, you’ll be building your ADU without any problems in no time.