The holiday season means holiday parties! A beautiful gift package is a great way to present wine, champagne, or birthday gifts. This tutorial will show you how to create a beautiful bag for any bottle. The recipient can then keep gifting it! We will show you how to make a lovely puffed collar wine bag.
- Cut one 13″ x 22″ (33cmx56cm).
- Cut one 2” x 1” (33cm x 33cm) piece for the casing
- Matching thread
- Ribbon, approximately 30” in length, 3/4′” wide (76cm @2cm wide).
- Point turner (chopstick, pencil, etc)
- Bodkin (a blunt, pointed needle with a large eye that can be used to draw tape or ribbon through loops or hems)
- Fray check (optional).
You will need one type of fabric for each 40cm. Depending on the direction and grain of the fabric, you might need 60cm. Our fabric was Organza, but you could also use quilting cotton, satins, or other fabrics. Since turning corners can be difficult with heavy fabrics (like duck canvas), we don’t recommend it. However, almost any fabric can work for this tutorial.
Sewing instructions:1/2’’ Seam allowance
- Apply a light fray check around the edges to prevent fraying. This step can be skipped. You can also serge the edges if you have a serger.
2 To create the collar, turn the bag upside down and mark the 12” end. This will make your collar’s neck. Then pin the collar to both sides.
- Turn the right side out and sew the sides together. Turn right-side out. Use a point-turner to make sure the collar’s points are sharp. Press. Now you should have a pocket with a long, flat piece of fabric.
- Place the 2 sides on the right side of the bag and pin the matching seams. As shown, pin 1 1/2 inches beyond the previously stitched seam. Be sure to not catch the collar hem. Sew the sides as well as the bag’s base. Backstitch. Press the sides as well as the base seams.
5 Let’s do some origami! When your bag is flat, it looks like a rectangle. However, if you lift it up and pull away from the seams, it will make two triangles.
Make the boxed base by bringing the corner of your bag into a triangle, as shown.
Mark 1 1/2 inches from the tip of your stitch and measure. Backstitch. Trim to 3/8″ seam allowance. Continue with the opposite corner. Optional: Apply fray-check to the cut edge.
- Turn the bag right side out. Mark 4 1/2 feet from the folded edge. Set aside.
- Now, make the casing for your ribbon. Mark the length of your fabric strip (the second cut) with a 3/8” line on each end. Fold and press. The finished length is approximately 1”x12”. This is essentially a single-fold bias tape, which will be attached to the neck of your bag.
- Place the casing along the 4 1/2” mark on the bag. Pin.
10 Sew around the bag and secure the casing to its neck. Continue with the opposite edge.
- Thread your ribbon through the casing using a bodkin.
Congratulations! Congratulations! Your custom wine bags has been completed. Your wine gift bag is now complete! It’s elegant, durable, and adds a touch of love to the gift. It’s so easy to personalize a basic gift like wine by adding something personal.