In the contemporary world, the mobile phone is an unavoidable piece of technology. It made communication and the transfer of technology more comfortable than ever before. But, mobile phones are now causing significant problems in kids. In Australia, data from the Australian Communication and Media Authority shows that 54 per cent of children between the age of 6 to 13 either own or have access to mobile phones. In the past, children used to play with kids bicycles for entertainment. The use of such items was healthier and safer for kids. But now, mobile phones cause obesity and many other diseases in kids.
Advantages of cycling
There are many advantages to cycling over other modern entertainment options.
- Health benefits: Cycling is one of the most health maintenance methods for people of all ages. Cycling gives movement to most parts of the body, and it helps in strengthening the muscle.
- New friends:Cycling will help them to have new friends with the same habits. This new friendship will encourage them to get along with society.
- Socialising:Cycling is an outdoor activity, and this will help them to get exposed to society. This exposure is significant for socialising.
- Knowledge about surroundings:Knowledge about the surrounding where they live is necessary for kids. It will help them to do things by themselves without fear. There is no other method better than freely roaming through the neighbourhood to know about the surroundings.
- Stress relief:Due to many reasons, now kids are also prone to stress. Cycling will help them to relax and regain their peaceful mind.
- Skill development: Cycling is not just a method for time pass. It is also a skill that helps many kids in the future. Cycling is one of the most well-known sports, and many Australians like Robbie McEwan became world-famous in it.
- Introduction to basic road laws: In Australia, by the data from government agencies there was 1148 road death happened in the last 12 months up to July 2021. Most of these losses of lives can be avoided by following the road laws. So, kids need lessons about road laws at a very young age. These lessons will make them good citizens when they grow up.
Types of bicycles and must have safety devices.
There are several types of cycles available in the market for different purposes. But kids bicycles are often categorised into the following, To learn more about the different types of bikes, check out Outdoor Lab with J.
- Gender-based bicycles: There is no much difference between cycles for boys and girls. But mostly, girls’ bicycles are painted with more colourful paints and will have much brighter designs. Some manufacturers provide front carriers for girls bicycles.
- Geared and non geared:Geared type will help kids to go up hills with much ease. But the price of the geared bicycle will always be higher than that of the non-gear type.
- Balance bikes: These are the bicycles using for training kids to get a balance on two wheels. Also, these bikes help teach how to steer. Usually, these bikes come without pedals and chains.
- Performance bike: These have a higher performance than traditional bicycles. The use of lighter and higher quality materials with a unique shock system makes it more powerful.
Things to notice while buying kids bicycle
- Height:Not all the cycles come with identical specifications. So before buying a bicycle for a child, make sure that its length is proper for them.
- Type: For small kids who are learning cycling, buy balancing cycles. And choose between girls and boys cycles accordingly.
- Geared vs gearless: It is always better to buy geared cycles for kids. But kids who are learning cycling may find changing gears difficult. So for such kids, gearless bicycles are best suitable.
- Price:Kids grew faster, so buy a less costly bicycle in their younger ages.